Friday, January 23, 2009

Mock Critique: Kiper Version 1.0

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. released his first 2009 mock draft, which officially signals the start of the 2009 mocking season. Usually, anything done before that is simply attempts at grabbing the air. Nothing substantive occurs until the Duke of the Draft...ok, I'll stop putting Kiper on a pedestal.

But with the release of Kiper's first version (which, to no surprise, is only available in part to non-Insider subscribers [don't worry, I'll critique the second half of the first round too)], it provides us with some things to talk about.

There are a few picks I can't agree with. We'll start with my beloved New York Jets. There's just no way they can take Florida WR Percy Harvin with the 17th pick. There's no denying the Jets need a receiver to step up and be a big-play guy, but Harvin is not the answer. He's only about 5-10, and while he's an explosive weapon who can play multiple positions, he doesn't fit the type of receiver the team needs. They need a tall receiver - not another Santana Moss.

Backtracking for a moment, Kiper has the Kansas City Chiefs going with USC QB Mark Sanchez at No. 3. I'm not sold on this, at least for now. Tyler Thigpen showed considerable growth throughout the season, and I have to think there's some institutional confidence in him - perhaps enough to mean KC will not go QB in the first round.

A team that I do think will eventually take a quarterback is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. However, I don't think they will go that route in the first round. Kiper has the team grabbing Josh Freeman, the signal-caller from Kansas State, at 19. Freeman's stock has taken a jump in recent weeks, but I'm not sold on him. I think the team is more likely to use a late-round selection to draft a QB. To me, it makes sense to remain with Jeff Garcia at the helm, at least for the first year of the new coaching regime. I know the rookie coach-QB combo worked this year, but I wouldn't expect similar results.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog idea Grant...I LOVE mock drafts (almost as much as the real draft itself!)

    As for your takes on Kiper's mock, I generally tend to agree. I really think Thigpen is going to get a shot in KC and if anything they will take a QB later. You have to wonder though if they hire Mike Shanahan whether he will want to bring in his own guy or stick with Thigpen.

    As for the Eagles picks on Kiper's mock, I would LOVE it if we got Beanie Wells and Michael Oher. I particularly like Oher but there is no way he drops that far, not after the way he has played in the Senior Bowl practices. Either way we'll get at least 1 very good tackle and getting a talented back to pair with Westbrook would be huge. We need to spare Westy a bit and getting a guy like Wells will give us the ability to move Westbrook around the field a lot more (as a WR, etc.)

    Make sure you check SI.com...they just posted a more in depth mock than Kiper's. Also keep an eye out for Mayock's mock...I respect his opinion even more than Kiper's!

    ReplyDelete