Friday, January 23, 2009

Mock Critique: SI.com's Don Banks

[Don Banks' mock draft can be found here]

The big break from a lot of different drafts here is that Banks has the Detroit Lions taking Alabama OT Andre Smith instead of Georgia QB Matthew Stafford. I can't say I completely disagree, but I have the feeling that Stafford and Mark Sanchez are pro-type quarterbacks who would fit well. Can I see Detroit going non-QB? Absolutely. Do I think they will? No. The rest of Banks' top 10 is pretty feasible, although you already know my feelings on the Kansas City Chiefs and their QB situation. Give Tyler Thigpen a chance.

I'd be stunned if the Buffalo Bills took TE Brandon Pettigrew at 11. Sure, the Bills need help on offense, but not from the TE position. WR Jeremy Maclin seems more likely for Buffalo if they choose an offensive player. I also disagree with Banks' prediction at 12. The Denver Broncos should grab DT B.J. Raji if he's on the board, which he is in this mock. The success of the 3-4 defense is predicated on the defensive tackle position moreso than the ILB position.

I don't have too many qualms with the rest of Banks' draft either. Again, at this point, I'm not going to critique each and every pick. I will say one thing though: If the Tennessee Titans are able to grab Percy Harvin at 30, Nashville should throw a party. He's a very versatile player and I think he would give the Titans the explosive receiving threat they didn't have this year.

1 comment:

  1. I'll tell you what Detroit SHOULD do...they need to trade down and try to get as many higher picks as possible. Ideally they need help at OT AND QB, and they would still likely be able to do that if they traded down.

    ReplyDelete