Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Couple of Pieces Away?

The Houston Texans flourished last season, finishing 9-7 and just missing the playoffs. Can they find the missing pieces in this year's draft? Scott Spillman explains what Houston needs to do at No. 20 and beyond.

After coming off the best season in Texans history, there aren’t as many glaring issues as some would lead you to believe. The loss of Dunta Robinson has left a void in the secondary, but Houston has one of the best front seven groups in the league.

With the first round pick, I believe the Texans will go CB or safety. There has been a lot of talk about Earl Thomas, but I’d like to see Kyle Wilson, the CB from Boise State. He’s been all over the Texans website and proved in the Senior Bowl he is the real deal.

In the second round I’d like to see the Texans draft a RB, possibly even trade up to get it. However, Gary Kubiak is not one to wheel and deal so I suspect someone like Ryan Matthews out of Fresno State will be available to the Texans. Matthews will provide the bigger back that Chris Brown, Ahman Green, and Ron Dayne couldn’t. In the third round, I’d like to see a DT. Connor Barwin was a nice addition, but it doesn’t appear Amobi Okoye is panning out as the everyday DT we had hoped. I’d like someone like Mike Neal from Purdue, an intellectual and versatile player.

In the fourth I expect the Texans to try to find another steal in the secondary for SS. Chad Jones from LSU or Major Wright from Florida would be nice value at this pick. In the fifth round, I am going out on a limb, but I’d like to see Leigh Tiffin from Alabama. Yes, that’s right – a kicker in the late fifth. Kris Brown let too many games get away and even if Tiffin doesn’t work out, a fire is lit under Brown’s rear end.

In the sixth round, I’d like to see an explosive return man who could play #5 WR. I am not shot in the foot with David Andersen and Andre Davis/Jacoby Jones are good punt returners, but a burner would be nice. Kelton Tindal from Newberry, a D-II school, ran in the 4.3 range, blazing speed for being 6-3. Finally, to wrap up the draft I’d like to see another QB to back up Schaub. Orlovsky is Kubiak’s project, but I’d like to see someone who could compete with him, but contribute as well, much like a Jason Garrett to Troy Aikman. I think Max Hall from BYU fits the bill. Other possibilities include another offensive lineman, but with the recent signing of Wade Smith, I think the Texans are pleased, especially considering the injuries they had to endure this past season. Look for some surprises and a lot of defensive picks and prepare to see the Houston Texans in the playoffs this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment